Friday, August 17, 2012

Altered Book Lesson 14 - Zippers


This lesson taught us how to insert a zipper into our book to give a place to peek at something hidden.  You need 5 pages in your book to do this.  Stick together pages 2 and 3 and  4 and 5 then decide where you want the zipper to go according to your layout and cut a slit 1/4" wide out of the stuck together pages 2 and 3.  Decorate the front then attach zipper to the back of  this with sticky tape, mine was not strong enough to hold the zipper when opened so I added some E500 glue which did the trick.  Attach the item you want to hide onto page 4 and then run a strip of sticky tape along the bottom edge and right hand side only of page 4.  This way when the zipper is opened you can curl back the opening to reveal your picture.  As you can see from the following picture once again my double sided tape failed me at the top.


 I added a hand embossed copper sheet crown and corner pieces and a strip of red metal sheet with the words Copper Candle Sconce across the bottom right diagonally.  

This technique is very fiddly and you do need strong glue but it is well worth the effort when it is finished, adds a cool new dimension to your book.

6 comments:

BJ said...

What an excellent and luxurious page. Well done. BJ

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your wimpy tape reminded me why I didn't create a new zipper in my techniques book. I knew it would never hold. I knew it would need to be quite heavy duty to work properly. However, you still managed to create a very beautiful spread, which turned out quite nice, despite all your problems. I love it! Like BJ said, it's luxurious!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This spread is full of wonderful texture and rich color! The crown and molding that you added really make the page. I wound up using carpet tape because I had it in the house. If you are not familiar with it, it is a double sided tape that one would use to keep carpeting attached to a cement (cellar or basement) floor. I'm sure there are other uses, but that is what I would have used it for.

elle said...

Wow! How elegant! This is a very nice example of what a zipper can aspire to!

Dawn said...

What a beautiful spread Paula, your zip is soooooo neat too. Love how shiny and rich the whole thing looks, well done you.
Big hugs x x x x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Golly Paula. I can't remember what I ate for dinner this evening, much less what I said in my comment (grin). Actually, I remember saying THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for reposting this because I know so many people will appreciate it as much as I. It is beyond elegant.