Saturday, April 28, 2012

Altered Book - Lesson 4 Glues and Gesso

Lesson 4 was to experiment with different glues and gesso to see the results when sticking two pages of a book together.
Our choices of glue were Glue Stick, School Glue, Gel Medium, ModgePodge (I don't have any so substituted Tacky Glue, and Gesso. My results were as follows:
Front badly wrinkled towards the side edge of the page but the back was fine.
Again wrinkled on the front page but smooth on the back.
Front wrinkled on all edges and back wrinkled in two area in the middle.
Pretty good on the front but back page very wrinkled.
Perfect both front and back, guess this would be my choice so far but I will leave them under some books tonight to see how they do when fully dry.

3 comments:

SandeeNC said...

It is interesting to see how the glues differ from each other, I love experiments!! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I apologize for not visiting sooner. I have NO idea how your posts have all slipped through the cracks in my class. I'm SO glad you are here, participating, and enjoying the challenge.

I was surprised that gel medium caused wrinkles on your pages. Gel medium is supposed to be the best of all the glues, including the glue stick. And it's a GOOD thing you don't have Mod Podge. People keep giving it to me, and I hate it (grin). You can believe me when I say I've never bought this stuff in my life.

I'm off to see how well the experiment went after a night under a weight.

Sherry said...

I found the old glue stick to work the best too - although when all the pages had thoroughly dried, there wasn't much difference to them ... although Mod Podge I did try also and that seemed to be the worse of the lot!