Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A new year, a new challenge


Welcome to 2012 and a happy new year to everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and that you don't feel too guilty after all the overindulgence. I have decided that now is the time to loose some of the pounds I have gained since giving up smoking in 2001. I have 40lbs to go so to keep me on track I am going to put in a daily record here. For the record I weight 190.7 lbs eeek!!!!

Now for another challenge, Carte a Jouer. For the moment we are on a free choice of technique and subject so I thought I would make a couple of cards with texture in gesso. I covered a card with gesso and scraped a small area to show the nine of spades underneath. The love symbol was stenciled with gesso on top to give a raised effect. As it dried it cracked. I rubbed pinked metallic rub-on on the symbol and mauve around it and edged the card with gold. I stencilled the word love with gold metallic rub-on. I sprayed the card with a clear sealant to prevent colours from coming off.

For the owl card I again covered a card with gesso then stencilled a branch and leaves on top. I used distress ink to highlight this and where the gesso had cracked the ink remained darker. I edged the card with the distress ink too and then pulled the ink in towards the branches with a water filled pen. I stamped the owl with the distress ink and again pulled the ink with water pen. I then embossed it clear powder. The green jewels were added to the leaves to give them emphasis.
http://carteajouer.blogspot.com

3 comments:

lettrebleue said...

Superbe, j'adore le travail du fond et des matières,
ma préférée c'est la chouette !

Sôso la vahiné said...

hello, super tes deux cartes, le hibou est tres joli, on dirait qu'il est sous la neige :) bonne année 2012 ! Sôso from france

coKo said...

Hello Paula, first, a Happy New Year for you and yours ! Then I wish you Good Luck by trying to loose all these overweight : as you, I am a member of this club !
And finally, I can't say which card I prefeer. Both are interesting and I appreciate really your explanations about the techniques you used.
A bientôt. coKo