Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Craft Barn Dictionary Challenge Catch-up

G is for Gable

 
Sorry for my long absence, so many letters to catch up on, had my hip replacement and been to England to stay for 6 weeks with my daughter and my grandsons, oh what fun we had.  To continue on with my altered dictionary challenge over at The Craft Barn Blog HERE for the letter G I have painted a watercolour of a barn showing the gable end.
 
If you have time please look at my other letters below that I have finished so far, still got a few more to go but on my way. 

 
U is for Urban Decay
 
 
Seen to much these days, I found this photo of what was once a splendid building.  So far I it has not been painted with graffiti, so I added some of my own.  My first ever attempt at this art form, and believe me it is not easy. 
 
 
F is for Ferruginous
 
 
The colour of iron rust.  Acrylic paints in black, rust red, yellow and orange brayered onto Tyvek and stuck to the pages to make the background.  The same colours used to stencil across the bottom of the page.  Two pockets torn from the painted Tyvek on the right side hold tags of red headed girls and the main picture on the left is matted onto blue cardstock and edged with gold marker.
 
K is for Knot
 

 
 
Love this photograph on the right of rope knots had to use it.  6 knots tied with cord and mounted on cardstock.  Tried to get a nautical feel to the pages with the use of red, white and blue colours.
 
A is for Aquarium
 
 
Two zipper plastic bags filled with hair gel and placed on a mixture of blue sprayed background with stamped fish and ferns.  Frames of cardstock hide the edges of the bags.  The cheaper the hair gel the more bubbles you get in it.
 

W is for Wall
 
 
 
I removed a piece of from the keyboard of my computer which made a perfect stencil for the wall.  First coated pages with gesso, printed a picture of poppies in a field (circle heads) and stuck it to the pages.  Cut 3" circles from cardstock to mask the "hole" and masked an inch strip along the top with paper.  Another coat of gesso over the whole page, let it dry.  Keyboard mask down sprayed with watered down ink. Flower stamps coloured with Twinkling H2Os.

R is for Robin's-egg Blue




  I chose Robin's-egg Blue for my letter "R".  I used my water soluble oil pastels for the background, nest and eggs.  Stamped an American Robin in brown Stazon ink and coloured it in with the oil pastels too.  Die cut silhouette letters on robin's egg blue speckled paper backgrounds (though you can't see the paper clearly in my photo) finish my page.




14 comments:

Scrapmate said...

What wonderful pages. I hope the hip is much improved now. Your paintings are awesome.

Maisie Moonshine said...

Fabulous pages - and such a treat for us to see so many at once. Such diverse pages but so beautifully done. MMx

Elaine said...

Well done on catching up with your missing letters. Some great ideas but specially like your Aquarium!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, I'm missing words. So many fabulous pages - wonderful.

Maggie said...

A lovely watercolour for your word Gable and your other pages are wonderful hope your hip is on the mend

MaggieH

BJ said...

WOW amazing pages there, they are all brilliant, love them ALL. BJ

Pat said...

Your pages are stunning, I love the fact that you removed the keyboard to make a stencil, that is dedication.

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

All are awesome pages! and beautiful watercolour painting - Gable
nagaonkarshilpa.blogspot.in

carolfromkiwiland said...

Beautiful pages. I wouldn't wish a hip replacement on anyone but it has certainly given you the opportunity to be creative in a spectacular way. I love all your pages and agree graffiti is not as easy and simple as it looks - they can be true artists. Look forward to your next creations.

Canonbury creations said...

Beautiful pages and well worth waiting for! Love your Gable end and the knots are brilliant:) Glad you are recovered from your hip replacement, something that my husband is waiting for!
Val x

Unknown said...

Goodness me, such lovely work Paula! LOve all your pages! Thanks for the inspiration. Hugs Frea

Dawn said...

Awe Paula, soooooooo good to see you back, ALL of your pages are stunning sweetie. I hope you are recovering well?
Huge hugs x

Lesley said...

Fabulous pages! Love all the illustrations! xx

Anonymous said...

Well done on catching up! LOVE the barn, or "gable" (new word for me)
Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn.
Izzy