Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cookie and Crunch



Thought you might like to see the 2 week old African Grey chicks that I am hand feeding. This is the first time I have ever done this and I did loads of research learning online and took instruction from our friend John who has been handrearing birds for years. It is not a simple task and you can easily aspirate them if you do not know what you are doing, and then there is nothing you can do and you lose the chick. I was so scared at the first feeding shown in the second video. We believe that one is male (Crunch) and one female (Cookie). It is now day 5 and looking back at these videos I can't believe how much they have grown, especially Crunch. I am sure that if they had been left in the nest with the parents he would have taken all the food and Cookie would have struggled to survive. Cookie hatched 4 days after Crunch so she will always be the smaller of the two. I have become quite attached to them already, not sure that I will want to sell them when the time comes for them to go.

No comments: